Everyone gets busy at times. Trust me, I understand, but your cat won’t when their litter box isn’t clean! Self-cleaning and automatic litter boxes are the newest innovation in both yours and your cat’s life. Even if you get a manual one though, choose any of the great options I’ve managed to find here.
Why You Need a Cat Litter Box:
I’m sure you’re wondering if you really do need an automatic litter box. It may seem over the top, but there are tons of benefits.
I know that I’ve got a lot of work to do every day, and I’m sure you do too. On top of that, there are social commitments and family life too. Don’t let litter box cleaning take up even more time when it can be automated and efficient.
No More Smell
In my small apartment, there was no other place to put the litter box than in my room. I hated the smell! Even if it let me know I needed to clean the box, self-cleaning boxes got rid of the lingering stench.
When you don’t have to scoop the litter box, you don’t have to mess with urine soaked litter, harmful bacteria, or litter dust. Automatic boxes take care of these things for you so both you and your pet are safe.
Factors You Should Think About:
Some cats like more privacy, and won’t go if you’re watching. There are lots of hooded designs to combat this.
My cat won’t go in his box if it’s not up to his standards. That’s why I needed a cleaning box that really got things looking pristine.
Cats dig, and some kick litter right out of the box. High walled attachments or designs solve this issue.
My cat is a little skittish, so I couldn’t get him something too loud. The quieter the box was the better.
Our poor sick pets tend to do looser stools when they go to the bathroom, but most litter containers can’t handle that. There are a few select models that can however.
Most automatic boxes are fine for multiple cats, but just make sure before you throw out all those manual boxes.
Ok, this feature is for you. When buying an automatic box, you’re not going to want to scoop, and there are types of boxes that make sure you won’t have to.
Automatic Cleaning Litter Boxes To Go For
Petmate Clean Step Litter Dome
This little dome provides your pet with all the privacy they need in whatever color suits you best. The enclosed dome keeps litter and spray from getting out while the filter minimizes odors.
– The steps and litter mat catch most of the tracked litter
– Contains smell really well
– Muffles sound of cats digging at night
– You might forget to change the litter with the dome covering it
– Most liners won’t fit in the box
Modkat Litter Box Kit
There’s no litter tracking with Modkat’s patented design that lets your cat enter from the top. This box looks sleek as it blends in, and if you’ve got dogs, you can be sure they can’t get in either.
– Even larger cats fit into the opening easily
– Made of high quality plastic and is easy to clean
– Really reduces litter tracking
– The actual scoop that comes with the box is poorly designed
– Cats might stop burying waste since the box is covered
– The price is a bit much for some
Petphabet Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Box
This cute little litter box comes in a variety of colors while being large enough for two cats at once. Remove the cover if they don’t like it, and even though you’ll have to scoop, it’s easy to do so.
– The lid clamps on firmly; won’t fall off
– No raised areas that make it hard to clean
– The sides are quite high but you can still see when it needs cleaning
– The plastic is a little cheap
– The clips don’t always keep the top on for rambunctious cats
Favorite Portable Side Enter Covered Cat Litter Box
This portable box looks just like a cat carrier, and is covered to control those odors. Any digging will be contained while the non-stick surface makes any cleaning simple and easy.
– The seams prevent urine from leaking into small areas
– Prevents cats from peeing outside the box
– Perfect for larger cats or multiple cats
– The lip on the front allows litter to sometimes spill out
– Latches are a little small; hard to move it
New Cat Condos Premier Litter Box
Get your cat a cute Cat Condo made from solid wood, carpet, un-oiled sisal rope, and sonic tubes. You can get it in a variety of colors, and it should be small enough to fit easily.
– Very sturdy; you can even sit on it
– Blends into your home
– Roomy inside
– Carpeting is a bit loose at the top and sides
– Urine might get into the seams inside
– Very heavy to lift
Good Pet Stuff Company Hidden Cat Litter Box
Now this litter box will blend into your home- it looks just like a potted plant! It’s completely durable too, and designed specifically for large cats or multiple cats.
– Big cats fit in easily
– Looks good while being affordable
– Very easy to keep clean and prevent odor
– Can’t use litter bags for easy cleaning
– Takes a while to set up
– A little harder to line up the top and bottom grooves
Tidy Cats Cat Litter, Breeze, Litter Box Kit System
Tidy Cats makes a sleek little box that will control odor, make cleaning easy with disposable cat pads and dehydrating pellets. It’s almost completely dust free, so you’re scooping job is safer.
– Easy to clean and get rid of smell
– The urine drains straight into the pad below for easy clean up
– The litter barely gets tracked since they’re hard pellets
– Can’t handle looser stools
– Remaining litter isn’t cleaned well
– Pellets often get wedged into the holes of the box
There are some definite pros to picking out a self cleaning litter box, but there are some great manual boxes that I’ve found too. Pick out any one of these to save yourself time and effort even if it won’t clean itself. Either way, the proper box will be a huge improvement in your home life.