You’re probably wondering why in the world your adorable little cat or dog always ends up drinking from your sink! My cat drinks my water if I leave it out, but with a pet water fountain, that’s a thing of the past. Even though it may seem odd to get a water fountain for your pet, it’s the perfect solution to keep your pet hydrated.
Why Buy a Pet Water Fountain?
Pet water fountains are sure to provide your pet with the healthiest drinking water possible. Cats especially are susceptible to kidney and urinary issues, so they need to consume extra amounts of water to stay healthy. A fountain is the perfect solution for this, especially since pets actually prefer to drink from running sources of water rather than a stagnant bowl. The fountain grabs their attention, you only have to refill it daily thanks to the filter, and your pet can drink whenever they need. These fountains are hassle-free and completely safe so you have nothing to worry about if you’re out for the day.
Benefits of a Pet Water Fountain
There are actually lots of reasons why you might want a pet water fountain other than the consistent fresh water, and I’ve got them all here:
- The running water passes through a filter, so it stays fresher
- It won’t grow bacteria and fungus like in a bowl
- Stays cooler
- Has more oxygen in it; may taste better
- Have wider bowls, so your cat will be more comfortable with their whiskers
- Perfect for cats especially who like drinking running water
You do still need to clean the fountain and replace the filter, but these are easy enough to find. In the end, a fountain can even increase the air quality by improving humidity, so it can help you out too!
What to Look For
What do you need to consider before you pick up your fountain? It’s a lot harder than it looks when you’re faced with all those brands!
These fountains come in lots of shapes and sizes, so you can use them anywhere. Depending on where you put it, you’ll want to adjust for the size and noise level.
Number of Pets
You’ll need a fountain that works with big, small, or multiple pets. Both the design and capacity are important.
How much water your fountain holds is an important factor. If you go away for the weekend or work, get a fountain large enough even for larger animals who drink more.
Type of Stream
Some pets like natural circling water while others like the waterfall effect. Adjusting the water flow will definitely help you with drinking preferences.
The circular stream will sit at an angle instead of on top, creating a natural motion to pets. This is quieter and calmer for some pets.
Then there’s the waterfall stream that lets the water fall to encourage more drinking. The stream is usually louder though, with larger animals drinking directly from the stream.
Most fountains get louder when they need water added. Maybe it’s not a great idea to put it in your room then!
This is how the water gets purified, so be aware of replacement costs or how many gallons get filtered. This can keep dust, debris, and chemicals out of the water that can impact taste and smell.
For those of you who wash your fountain by hand, you’ll want something like stainless steel. This will be more hygienic and easier to clean than plastic models, and can be put in a dishwasher too.
With plastic bowls especially, getting something BPA Free will be healthier and safer when you’re using and cleaning it. Stainless steel is usually easier to clean and lasts longer too.
Pet Water Fountains
When it comes to what pet water fountain you should buy, I’ve got the top picks right here for you. Now you can be sure you’ve got fresh water!
PetSafe Drinkwell 360 Pet Fountain
This fountain is large enough for pets of all sizes, with 1-5 changeable free-falling streams. The replaceable carbon filters keep it safe while the adjustable flow helps you get your pet interested.
– Large capacity is ideal for multiple pets
– Very quiet and easy to clean and put together
– High quality; doesn’t look cheap
– The actual look may not appeal to some
– The basin isn’t very wide
– You do need to refill it quite often
PetSafe Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain
You can fit lots of water in this PetSafe. The built-in reservoir increases capacity so you don’t have to refill as often. You can adjust the streams as you want and can be assured that the plastic is completely BPA Free.
– Lasts even after a couple years of use
– You don’t usually need to do any maintenance other than cleaning
– The filter lasts as long as 3 months and you only need to fill it a few times a week
– You do need to clean the fountain fully around every 2 weeks
– The reservoir tank can’t really stand on its own
– There are lots of nooks and crannies which make it hard to clean
PetSafe Ceramic Pagoda Fountain
This cute little fountain comes in a variety of colors for small to medium sized pets. Dual streams add more oxygen, the porcelain looks great in the home, and two dishes provide more space for your pets.
– If you’re worried about plastic, it’s completely ceramic
– Great-looking, and takes up very little space
– Offers three drinking choices for cats
– Porcelain tends to break, if not looked after properly
Drinkwell Outdoor Pet Fountain 3.5 Gallon
Now this fountain from Drinkwell is huge, so you can be sure it’ll work with your larger pets. The deep drinking bowl will reduce splashing, meaning that it’ll work well for indoor or outdoor use.
– Very easy to clean without any special instruments or tough spaces
– Godsend if you have multiple pets, but is too large for smaller pets or just one
– You can remove and refill the reservoirs without unplugging the fountain
– The waterfall is a bit low
– It’s definitely for outdoors; makes more of a mess
– It’s noisier then some of the others
Pioneer Pet Big Max Stainless Steel Fountain
The sleek design of this fountain circulates drinking water to make it more appealing. It’s completely dishwasher safe and looks modern enough to fit in with any home décor.
– It takes 4-7 days before you need to add water
– Very silent and cleans easily
– The water doesn’t splash out of the bowl
– Some cats may not like the taste of the water from the stainless steel
I never knew how helpful a pet water fountain could be until I bought one for myself. My cat loved seeing his water moving around, and didn’t have to wait for me to get the water from the sink for him! These fountains work for any pet to keep them hydrated so that’s one less thing you’ve got to worry about.